Rumpus Daily, 25 Sep 2026: Traders doubt Trump will order an invasion of Iran
In this episode: Iran's offer to reopen Hormuz meets a sceptical market; Traders doubt Trump will order an invasion of Iran; Bitcoin traders cool on a September run to $87,500. Two stories are pulling against the headlines today. The press has spent two days writing the end of the Iran war. The market that pays on it has spent two days going the other way.
Transcript
Opening
Sheema: Good morning and welcome to The Rumpus Daily. I'm Sheema Sharti.
Neil: And I'm Neil Matthews. Every weekday we bring you the signals from the world's prediction markets. Today is Friday, September twenty-fifth.
Sheema: Two stories are pulling against the headlines today. The press has spent two days writing the end of the Iran war. The market that pays on it has spent two days going the other way. And Bitcoin traders who were nearly certain of a September run to eighty-seven thousand five hundred dollars are now split almost fifty-fifty on whether it happens at all.
Neil: The Iran cluster alone drew about five hundred and forty-six thousand dollars in a single day across three contracts, and only one of them moved. The blockade-end contract is the one to watch.
Sheema: Iran's proposal, then. That's where we start.
Iran's offer to reopen Hormuz meets a sceptical market
Neil: Polymarket puts thirty-one percent on the United States announcing an end to its naval blockade of Iran, the closure of the Strait of Hormuz that has kept oil above ninety dollars, by October thirty-first. That contract peaked at forty-eight percent on September twenty-second and has lost seventeen points since.
Sheema: Iran proposed a seven-day plan to end the war, the New York Times reported today. Under it, the strait reopens and nuclear talks revive. So why hasn't the contract moved up?
Neil: Because the contract rule pays only if the US government publicly announces the blockade lifted or suspended. Tehran's offer meets no part of that. Secretary Rubio said on the twenty-fourth that talks had restarted with nothing agreed. A proposal is not an acceptance, and thirty-seven days is short for a seven-day plan to be accepted, executed and formally closed.
Sheema: The sixty-two percent on a year-end announcement tells you traders expect the blockade to end eventually. They just don't expect it in October. Our call is that thirty-one percent is too high, nearer twenty percent. The call is wrong if a US official announces the blockade lifted or suspended before October thirty-first.
Traders doubt Trump will order an invasion of Iran
Neil: The invasion contract, while we're on Iran. Polymarket puts fourteen percent on the United States commencing a military offensive to seize Iranian territory before 2027. That is down three points over the week, even after a piece published on September twenty-fourth claimed President Trump had already decided to invade.
Sheema: Fourteen percent sounds low for a decision that's already been made. What keeps it there?
Neil: The contract rule requires commencement, American forces moving to take and hold Iranian ground, judged by a consensus of credible sources. One note in a bond aggregator is not a consensus, and a decision is not a commencement. What moves it above eighteen percent is credible outlets, plural, reporting US forces advancing. Until then, the call holds: no offensive before 2027.
Bitcoin traders cool on a September run to $87,500
Sheema: Bitcoin now. The swing here is extraordinary.
Neil: Four days ago, Polymarket traders put ninety-four percent on Bitcoin touching eighty-seven thousand five hundred dollars before September ends. Today that contract sits at thirty-three percent. A sixty-one point fall in four days. What does that tell us?
Sheema: The contract settles yes the moment a single one-minute price candle on Binance's Bitcoin-to-dollar pair posts a high at or above eighty-seven thousand five hundred. Ninety-four percent meant traders thought a touch was imminent. Thirty-three percent means they now think Bitcoin has retreated well below it.
Neil: The dip contract confirms that. The chance Bitcoin falls to eighty thousand dollars trades at twenty-four percent. So the distance between a crash to eighty thousand and a run to eighty-seven thousand five hundred is nine points. That is a tight spread for a move of more than seven thousand dollars.
Sheema: Six days left in September. The call is No, unless a one-minute Binance candle records a high at or above eighty-seven thousand five hundred before eleven fifty-nine Eastern on September thirtieth.
Close
Sheema: Neil, thanks very much.
Neil: Thanks, Sheema.
Sheema: That's The Rumpus Daily for Friday, September twenty-fifth. We'll see you tomorrow.